Description: Milne Library is a partial US Government depository library, receiving a wide variety of reports, books, periodicals, maps, catalogs, laws & legislation, supreme court reports, and patents published and distributed by US government agencies.
Federal documents are considered reliable sources of information for research, so directing a search towards finding them is a wise strategy. Many finding aids and indexes exist for locating government documents.
Finding US documents within Milne Library:
Finding US documents online:
- Library Catalog. Many key documents, such as census and statistical sources, are listed in the online catalog. Select "Advanced Search." Enter your search terms, then under "Limit by collection," select "US Documents Collection, Basement."
- Catalog of U.S. Government Publications (CGP). The most comprehensive finding aid for U.S. government documents; a catalog of all documents received by GPO. Indexes both electronic and print sources. A link from each record allows the user to locate libraries that own the item. Includes author, title, subject, and keyword title indexes; covers 1994 to present.
- USA.gov. Conceived as "the official U.S. gateway to all government information," this search engine and subject directory provide ways to locate information across millions of government web sites. Directories for citizens, businesses, federal employees, and governments.
- Congress.gov. Search for bills, their status, and legislation from current House and Senate activity back to the 103rd Congress.
- New York Documents Collection. The bulk of print NYS documents is housed in the Periodicals Room in the basement.
- Circulating Collection: Selected documents are housed in the regular collection on the 2nd and 3rd floors. These can be located using the library catalog.
Finding NYS documents within Milne Library:
- Library Catalog. Most New York State documents are indexed in the Mile Library online catalog. Select "Advanced Search." Enter your search terms then under "Limit by collection," select "NYS Documents Collection, Basement."
- Checklist of Official Publications of the State of New York. Chose from a monthly or an annual list of documents published by New York State. Although there is no search engine, using the CTRL-F key combination to bring up the "Find" search box allows searching by keywords. Any document with a blue D next to it can be found in Milne Library under the NYS document number (e.g. LEG 787.3-3 STANS 83-2) in the Periodicals Room in the basement.
Finding NYS documents online:
- EXCELSIOR. The New York State Library's online catalog lists the holdings of the State Library, the State Archives and the New York State Historical Document Inventory, including the electronic version of many documents.