A literature review is an essential component of every research project. Literature reviews ask: What do we know, or not know, about this particular issue/ topic/ subject?
Literature reviews require “re-viewing” what credible scholars in the field have said, done, and found in order to help you:
- Identify what is currently known in your area of interest
- Establish an empirical/ theoretical/ foundation for your research
- Identify potential gaps in knowledge that you might fill
- Develop viable research questions and hypotheses
- Decide upon the scope of your research
- Demonstrate the importance of your research to the field