September 12 Panel Project Update
Jazzman's entrance to close temporarily beginning Monday Sept. 15: Jazzman's will remain open
We have been notified by Murnane, the contractor for the library panel project, that they have obtained the rest of the supplies needed to complete the panel project. They will begin work Monday Sept. 15 on the remaining section to be installed that is directly over the Jazzman’s entrance to Milne Library. As a result, the Jazzman’s entrance will be closed Monday and remain closed until the work is complete. Murnane estimated that would be 3-4 days. During the time the Jazzman’s entrance is closed, the Milne main entrance will be open at 7:30 AM to provide access to Jazzman’s (and the rest of the building).
August 25 Panel Project Update
The main door of the Milne Library has re-opened to the public. Custom furniture for the new renovated atrium has been installed. Wireless network has been re-activated for the third floor
Remaining panels will be installed over the next week. Parking restrictions at the rear of the building are still in effect.
August 15 (Friday) Project Update
The Milne panel project has fallen behind schedule a bit due to difficulties with the supplier of the materials. The contractor’s team has made every possible effort to move ahead with the project despite these issues. Here is a summary of our revised schedule milestones:
1. Faculty are planned to re-occupy the 3rd floor on Friday, 8/15.
2. The 3rd floor stack areas will be available to the public on Saturday, 8/23. Interior painting of corridor walls will continue in the Geography area.
3. The new Faculty carrels will be installed beginning on Monday, 8/25.
4. The entry courtyard area will be complete on or about Thursday, 8/21.
5. It is anticipated that the pedestrian corridors between Milne and the heating plant, and between Milne and Chase will be open by COB Friday, 8/22; and the main entrance to the library will be re-opened.
6. The parking areas along West Dorm Drive will continue to be off-line for staging of panel deliveries through 9/1. The parking area beside the heating plant may also be needed for storage. As panels are installed, these areas will be gradually turned over to the college. The ADA parking and accessible route to the rear entrance will remain in service as through the project.
7. The north quad will be restricted from use until the entire façade is complete. During this time, the Jazzman’s entrance will generally be open, but no pedestrian traffic will be allowed between the bus stop and the Jazzman’s entry.
8. All areas of work exterior work will be secured with fencing and signage. We are hopeful that the project will be fully completed by 9/15.
If you have any questions, please contact Scott Barton at XT 3224.
August 13 (Wednesday) Project Update
- Room 305 (the lab on the third floor) will be unavailable the first *three* weeks of the semester.
- Replacement of exterior panels continues.
- The front entrance to Milne Library should be open by the close of business on August 22nd.
- Milne Library stacks should be available by August 25th.
- The north side of the building (facing Schumacher) will be the last side to be completed. It should be done approximately 12 working days after August 22nd.
- The faculty carrels should be available by the second or third week of September.
- Part of the upper parking lot behind Milne Library may be available after Labor Day.
July 23 (Wednesday) Project Update
-- Ongoing panel installation: Enough panels on site to complete south elevation
-- Chilled water piping has progressed and is being connected in basement
-- All rough-ins of electrical completed; wire to be pulled next
-- Drop ceiling installation in progress
-- Floor patching progressing
-- Window frames have all been installed and glazing installation ongoing
-- Geography offices should be ready for move in on August 15
-- Stacks should be accessible to the public on or near the start of the academic year
July 9 (Wednesday) Project Update
-- Wednesday, July 9, is the last day to park in the parking lot behind Milne Library. Frequent deliveries of materials will be commencing and storage space is required at this time.
-- As soon as there is an adequate supply of panels onsite, Murnane (our contractor) will be putting (2) crews on the building and working 6 or 7 days per week project dependent.
-- Over the course of the next two weeks, our contractor and subs will be putting up interior framing, installing some windows, roughing in electrical, finishing heat piping, installing air handlers and applying foam insulation.
June 11 (Wednesday) Project Update
Access points into the building will be sustained as much as possible until the courtyard area has been completed and main door access can resume. The contractor will attempt to keep to a 5-day workweek. Weekends have been and may be added in the future depending upon weather and pace of project. As of today, the project is moving forward according to plan.
Today and rest of week:
The structural engineer will be hammer / claw testing all clips attached to building. These will ultimately be involved in hanging the panels.
Glass has been delivered
Interior doors and associated hardware to be delivered soon
Metal-framing will ensue until completed
Installation of clips to continue
Two weeks ahead:
Panels will be hung starting at the courtyard then progressing counter clockwise around the building
Interior work will likely begin with the installation of new water and power lines from the sub-basement to the 3rd floor. The contractor will notify us in advance when any disturbances are anticipated on any other floors.
June 9 (Monday)
The contractors will be working in the back area of the library removing panels today. For today we need to use the lower ‘vehicle’ entrance to the back of the library so that we will not be under the cranes as they are working. It is anticipated that tomorrow the normal construction pathway in the back will be re-opened. Thank you for your cooperation this summer. It is greatly appreciated.
The Third Floor is no longer accessible via the elevator to ensure visitors' safety. Panel removal is now proceeding on the west side and around the atrium.
The Jazzman's Cafe entrance is still the only public entrance.
- Access to Jazzmans entrance will need to be via walkway from Schumacher. It is likely that the crane will take up the entire walkway between Chase and Milne.
- The decision to close the upper parking lot behind Milne will be made by the contractor. At present, limited parking is still available in the upper lot.
- No delivery vehicles permitted w/in the fenced in lower lot adjacent to Milne's back door entrance. Staff will need to use the designated walk way as marked, from the Schumacher / West Dorm Drive end of the parking area. Please do not slip through the fence and cut across the other end of the lower lot near the heating plant.
- No vehicle or pedestrian entrance into the lower parking area (staff entrance) from the south (Heating Plant side). Please enter at the north end (Schumacher side) and proceed along the eastern wall of the library to the doors. Contractors will be placing scaffolding to mark walkways asap.
- A crane will be arriving this week with closure of western sidewalks (Chase Gym side) in front of Milne to follow.
Entrance to Milne Library
The doors to Jazzman’s and the rear service door entrance will be the access points until further notice. It will remain this way for a few weeks. The rear service door has an ADA compliant opener.
May 14, 2014 Panel Project
The General Contractor, Murnane Construction, will mobilize to our site on May 19. They will begin to establish the perimeter site fencing and restricted access areas, and begin internal dust barriers installation. Exterior caulk and window removal will begin over the main entrance courtyard as well. This activity will restrict access to the main entrance, and access through Jazzman’s will be required.
We are planning on relocating the 3rd floor staff on Thursday, May 23. This includes the Geography, Women’s & Gender Studies, and ALS personnel. Room assignments in Ford and Fitzelle have been prearranged. Coordination with Telecom and IT will be a part of this migration.
On May 27, the pre-cast panel removal will begin at the main entrance courtyard. This activity will continue on May 30 at the northwest corner and progress counterclockwise around the building over the ensuing 3 weeks. During that time, access points to the library will be adjusted to reflect the work progression. It is anticipated that use of the main entrance will be restored on or before June 6.
As the summer progresses, a series of installations will be taking place following a similar pattern beginning at the northwest corner and progressing counterclockwise around the building. These processes include but are not limited to installation of structural framing, insulated panels, windows, electrical work, HVAC work, interior wall finishes, and flooring.
The construction is scheduled to be substantially complete on August 1, with final completion following 2 weeks later on August 15. We expect that the staff migration back into the building will begin on Monday, August 11. As with all construction projects, all the dates anticipated in the description above are based on a prescriptive method that the contractor has provided. They are project milestones, and are subject to change based on unforeseen conditions.